Improvisational Weaving

In each project I tried to use different tools in order to play with weaving softer and different textured materials.

My first project was with yarn, a cup and twine to weft in a circular pattern. This was more traditional than the other with the exception of the cup as a loom. It was difficult to get my hand through the tiny spaces, which I again found to be challenge when I was weaving my scarves through my pencil in the later project. However I think It was pretty successful because my twine didn’t really slip after utilizing tape.

The easiest project was with the paper and for that one I tried to play with different widths of paper to see if it added a visual affect to the project. The paper weaving project was alot easier to accomplish and took the least amount of time gathering and setting up. I at first did try to use Olivia’s method with the ruler to place the paper, but that didnt work too well so I opted for taping the paper down to my desk.

My third project used scarves, pencils and tape to create the loom, warp and weft. The biggest challenges were weaving the scarves through the pencils and also spacing the pencils out evenly while making sure they don’t move. I think the scarves I used were too big for the spacing I left in between the pencils. I wanted to play with different patterns on a very similar fabric but it did not work well with the use of pencils and tape.