Jisoo Geum-Looking Outwards-01

Smart Highway – The Van Gough Path by Studio Rooseguaarde

https://www.studioroosegaarde.net/project/van-gogh-path

Studio Rooseguaarde is an urban design company founded by Daan Rooseguaarde that builds and installs interactive space to create a multipurpose environment. The Van Gough Path is a part of Smart Highways, which are made with light,  energy, and information that communicates with the traffic system. Made out of small pieces of rocks embedded on roads, the path gathers light energy during the day and then glows at night. When I discovered this company a few years ago, I was fascinated by how versatile the Smart Highways can be. The Van Gough Path, in particular, not only changes the area into a landmark but also enhances public safety. Another aspect that inspired me was that the studio brought the pattern of famous Van Gough painting, Starry Night, in the museum to outdoors, and made it interactive and functional with the help of programming and urban design. Although the software used for this project is unidentified, it can be assumed that there were a lot of CNC machines used during the process.