Lingfan Jiang-LookingOutwards-1

“Rain Room”

This is an interactive artwork exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art called “Rain Room”. When visitors walk through the raining room, the rain would not fall on you. It even gives you the illusion that you are able to control the rain.

I find it admirable because the artwork does not have a certain cultural background to it. The installation could be exhibited anywhere around the world and since it is very cool, it attracts people going to the museum. Consequently, it is given great commercial values.

I believe the fundamentals behind the technology is not very complicated. The sensors just understand the locations of those who entered the room. It is a common technology with a lot of precedents. However, the best idea of the room is that it not only creates a unique experience by adding the rain element but also satisfies people’s desire to share their unusual experience.

If this project proceeds, I hope the visitor would be able to stop the rain using a hand gesture, just like what happens in “Now You See Me”.