Mimi Jiao – Looking Outwards 4 – Section E

LandFilles exhibition in Experimental Intermedia, NYC on 6/20/2009

LandFilles at Emily Harvey Foundation in 2013

Keiko Uenishi is an experimental sound art-i-vist, socio-environ composer, and core member of SHARE, an organization that promotes and supports new media communities. She is most known for her installations playing around sound in physical environments. I am particularly intrigued by her work-in-progress live presentation, LandFilles. In collaboration with Katherine Liberovskaya, who took part in creating the video environment and live video, this piece explores the recycling feedback system in the city and upcycling movement. The project consists of three phases: first, empty clear plastic bottles are collected from streets and visitors; second, these bottles are formed into an installation by visitors which is then accompanied by audiovisual live projections; lastly, the structure is destroyed and given away to visitors. What attracted me the most about this is that the installation is ever-changing. In each exhibition space, it is different and generated by those who visit and interact with it. Each experience by each visitor is unique, and although the core idea is the same, the live process differs across different exhibition spaces and becomes more personalized. Since materials are collected locally, it makes the experience even more close to home and relatable for the visitors. This creates an interactive and immersive piece in which visitors become part of the artwork. As someone who is really interested in interactive 3D installations, I really want to physically experience this piece. Something I would like to see more of is the integration of these recycled materials with the physical space of the gallery itself. I think it would be interesting if there was some way of designing user flow throughout the gallery space to enhance the experience, possibly using sensors to give visitors more external stimuli, such as smell and touch. Overall, this is a really interesting piece and it really uses generative sound well with the subject matter and experience.