Elena Deng-Looking Outwards 08

Eyeo 2014 – Mouna Andraos and Melissa Mongiat from Eyeo Festival on Vimeo.

This week, I chose to listen to Mouna Andraos speak about their work. Their projects, focusing on participation, design, and technology tend to combine interactive design and environment. She calls her projects daily tous les jours, meaning “everyday” in French. The projects themselves create a magical environment, thus inciting the public to become active contributors to the results of the exhibition. The studio was started by Mouna, a professor at Concordia University, she has won various awards including the 2014 UNESCO Creative Cities Design Award for Young Talents.
One of the projects I really admired was the Sound Capsule created in 2010. It is a place in a loud city that one can just have some time to themselves. Another project that interested me was the conversation wall by Umpqua Bank. It was a temporary installation meant to engage the local community and celebrate the recent opening. By texting the bank they can add topics to a conversation and essentially each of the submissions will be displayed on the wall in real time, inviting everyone looking at the wall to joining in on the conversation.

Work

Conversation Wall