Eunice Choe – Looking Outwards-08

Zach Lieberman – Eyeo Festival 2011 from Eyeo Festival on Vimeo.

Artist Zachary Lieberman is a a creative coder who utilizes technology to create new, unexpected realities. He has held positions at several creative firms around the world and he currently teaches at the Parsons School of Design. In addition, he studied Design and Technology at Parsons. According to his website, his goal is to surprise people using technology that “breaks down the fragile boundary between the visible and invisible.” Zachary Lieberman’s body of work is centered around using technology and computational methods to create art. In his presentation, Zach Lieberman discusses IQ font, which is his project that takes the movement of a driving car and turns it into a custom typeface. Lieberman worked with two typographers and a professional race pilot to design the font and he tracked the car movements with a software that he designed. I admire this project because it directly takes inspiration from a movement and translates that movement into art. In his presentation, Lieberman articulates his thoughts clearly and he effectively combines his speaking points with visuals. These strategies kept me engaged as a viewer, so I think I could implement these strategies when I talk about my own work.

The IQ Font project was for Toyota to have a custom typeface.