LO – 09

Jubbies Steinweh-Adler
In Response to Holly Liu’s LO #4, September 26, 2020

In response to Holly Liu’s Looking Outward’s about Christina Kubisch’s Cloud, I have to say, I wish I could experience this interactive art installation myself. This piece reminds me of a theremin, an instrument that also uses electromagnetic field generation but instead of curly wire, it uses two antennae. I find it interesting how Kubisch’s cloud seems so much more inviting to me than a theremin, which I believe is a result of the use of bright color and whimsical arrangement of wire.

I explored some other works of Christina Kubisch, who apparently is well-known for her explorations of sound art using electromagnetism. I really appreciate how she has taken a simple mechanical principle and used it to inspire so many different experiences. My favorite of her work so far is Electrical Walks, which again makes use of wireless headphones responding to electromagnetic fields. The interesting distinction of this project is that the headphones make audible the sounds of above- and underground fields generated by everyday objects from light fixtures to streetcar cables. I absolutely love how this project allows people, for perhaps the first time, question what unassuming objects like security cameras sound like.

Christina Kubisch Portfolio: http://www.christinakubisch.de/en/works/installations/2

Holly Liu OP: