Looking Outwards: 11

Jenny Sabin is an American architect, designer, artist, a professor in Cornell AAP, and an experimental architect with her own studio based in Ithaca, NY. Her design focuses on cutting-edge technologies and emphasizes computational design, data, visualization, and digital fabrication.

A_Lumen_Jenny-Sabin-Studio_Photo-by-Pablo-Enriquez.jpg

Lumen (2017) by Jenny Sabin is a digitally fabricated architectural work that won the 2017 Museum of Modern Art’s PS1 Young Architect’s Program. The socially and environmentally responsive structure is made of a lightweight knitted fabric that adapts to the densities of bodies, heat, and sunlight. Lumen is a feminine form that offers luminous interiorities, informal networks, social fabrics, and fibrous assemblages that are pliable, transformative, and playful.

I found Jenny’s work particularly interesting as in my architecture studio we are currently working with environmentally responsive structures with algae and this related back to it perfectly and now I am using this particular project as a precedent for my design.