kitetale – Reading – 1

I’ve heard about how photography has been used in the past to capture the split seconds of moment using various mechanisms that are like the ancestors to the modern day camera before, but many of my understandings come from the perspective of film, projection, and illusion. It was interesting to me to see how photography as an individual snapshot can offer so much more than I thought as the starting point of information embodiment. In specific from the reading, I found how photogrammetric images have been used in crime scene analysis very interesting since photogrammetry to me has always been a method that stitches a ton of 2D images into a 3D model.

Even though it is obvious that photogrammetry uses grid and mathematical equations to determine the dimensions of the subject in a snapshot to gain spatial information, I haven’t really thought about how much information one photo with an additional photographer’s knowledge of where it was taken at what angle can offer. One lesson I definitely learned through this reading is that I don’t need millions of data to construct or learn about a subject – even a single image or two can potentially be enough to give me the wanted insights. I see so much artistic opportunities in analyzing a single image with computer vision and/or photogrammetry, which I hope to explore more this semester.