shrugbread- Reading 1

I have studied the history of photography a bit, but had never come across photography’s involvement with the School of Military Engineering at Chatham and Abney. Learning about the extensive specialization and attention to details that many photographers would have to go through with various other kinds of scientists helps me wrap my head around the idea of photography as measurement tool rather than photography as expression. Both in the US and internationally, militaries have been some of the most influential and leading entities when it comes to researching an inventing new tech, it does not surprise me that the British military put so much effort into photography as recording tools for expeditions like recording the transit of Venus.

I am interested in the artistic potential available through the use of population and statistical data with visuals created or processed in Touchdesigner. I have experience in storytelling through worldbuilding and imagining futures for the contemporary world, but I am more interested to see if I can build a framework or tool that gives information to predict and contextualize changes in human life. I am still figuring out what different types of capture I can engage in .