Digital Repeat Pattern 2- Marissa

Lemons & Things Pattern Trial

I chose to respond to the third prompt because I want my pattern to reflect elements of my routine and engagement with my environment. I also used the framework of the camouflage prompt as inspiration to look around for objects that may not typically be drawn repeatedly together. For my first pattern, I overlapped serendipitous objects such as shells, pennies, and flowers over a lemon and part of a To-Do list. Conceptually, I’m liking the idea of extracting beauty from the mundane. I can easily imagine this pattern on a tablecloth for my kitchen table where I spend a lot of time completing silly little daily routine tasks.

The hexagonal layout of this pattern works well with the shapes. I’m still getting used to the Illustrator tools, but I was pleasantly surprised by the formation of a triangle between the repeated stray petals.

Skullys Pattern Trial

I did another quick sketch after taking a look around my apartment with fresh eyes. I wanted to experiment with adding color, and while there were many frustrations, I was able to correct for gaps and create a scheme that enhanced the pattern’s intensity. Choosing different primary colors for the corners of the swatch design added direction created more interesting planes of movement in the repeated pattern. As a wallpaper, I think this pattern would create a feeling that’s overwhelming, but as a throw pillow cover, it would go nicely with the pillows currently on my couch. I’m enjoying how patterns can be used to evoke different emotions and convey different energies.