Mending Project – Maddie

Here is the finished product looking at the full scale of the pants. I did five separate mends on the pants. I intended for it to look like a bunch of different colorful patches around the pants. Originally, I wanted to do more decorative areas, but I found that the mending was a lot more time consuming than I thought so I didn’t have enough time to do everything I wanted. Even still, I like the way that they turned out.

Here are close up images of the five patches. The bottom two images are the newest patches that I made. For the pink one on the left, I started by using the stem stitch to make a rectangular border and then began doing the normal darning inside. I tried really hard to make sure that the warps were close enough together that once woven, it would be more opaque, but I found that the embroidery floss wasn’t quite thick enough to ever truly fill the space. For the orange patch on the right, I intended to make an abstract shape that kind of went back and forth, but as I was finishing the mending it started to look kind of like a rocket ship. I was originally planning on doing three shades of orange/yellow and going in three different directions, but I already liked the way it looked with two colors and didn’t want to spend the time adding a third color. At the end, I added the two backstitch lines to act like movement lines for the rocket ship. I think that this one looks most like a patch because it is more pictographic.