Textile Based Artwork

By: Remi Adeoti

The Artwork I that I came across, that interested me the most, was this piece by Vanessa Barragáo. She is a Brazilian artist who was commission to do a piece for Heathrow Airport. I thought this piece was interesting because of the variety of methods she used to get different textures, and different levels to create her interpretation of the world. She used techniques including latch hooking, felt needling, carving, and crocheting to get textural difference but also to discern the different aspects of her piece. For example she crochet ridges to represent South American and Asian rain forests while using yarn to represent the deserts in Australia and Africa. My favorite aspect of this piece is her choice of colors and how she places them next to each other.Looking at how she represents the ocean, she uses multiple shades of blue that are cool but at times have purple undertones, and when put together actually does remind you of the different blues of the oceans in the world, some are darker, brighter, cooler and she is able to include that in her piece.