The Divide by Crossing Threads – Jasmine Lee

Shades of deep and stormy blue clash into a beige off-white in a large wall hanging overshadowing the woman standing next to it.
The Divide by Crossing Threads

found: https://crossingthreads.co/shop/thedivide-duality

Taken from the artist’s description, “The Divide” is an expression of the duality of light and dark, and how one cannot exist without the other. It is a manifestation of the artist’s self expectations for the future, and the burden of having self doubts. The piece also symbolizes the artists’ love for the ocean. While the irregular hand-knotted chains represent those that ground us and the interconnectedness of those relationships, the crack appears as an “opportunity to let the goodness of humanity shining through.”

The artist mentioned above is Kass Hernandez, who partners with her sister Lauren Hernandez. They are Australian-Filipinos whose parents raises them in the southwestern suburbs of Sydney. Crossing Threads is a business they started so they could create one-of-a-kind fiber art together. They aim to use only natural fibers in their art— including merino wool, alpaca, bamboo, silk, and linen in order to tread lighter on the environment. They also feature upcycled denim and upholstery. Much of Crossing Threads’ inspiration comes from the Australian landscape, especially the color palette inspired by beaches, gum trees, and the ocean.

The Divide close-up (1).
The Divide close-up (2).

I chose this piece because it changed my ideas of what weaving could be. It was almost the start of my realization of weaving as art. Before I saw this piece, my impression of weaving was that it was mostly functional, and fabric could be made out of it. This piece blew me away by how impressively textural it was. From far away, it seems like a pretty tame blend of blue into off-white, but as you look closer you can notice the details all blending together into one cohesive piece. For example, in the blue section alone you can find strips of blue plaid, denim, different yarns, and fabrics that aren’t even blue. I love the cohesiveness of the piece at first glance, before I am able to discover all the rich detail in it.

” The Divide” was created using the artist’s signature ‘interknot’ technique, made up of weaving hand-knotted chains of various texture and thicknesses which graduate to a relief.