Garment Inspiration – Elise Delgado

Although each of these examples above may be completely different from each other, I believe they highlight my diverse interests in garments and meaning making. As I personally draw inspiration from organic materials such as flowers and create pieces that are very much on the haute couture, can’t-wear-to-anything-at-all, type of pieces, I look towards the work of Giambattista Valli. This Italian designer has mad massive dresses with endless layers of tulle that are mesmerizing. I like the feeling of being mesmerized by a gown because I understand the craftsmanship that goes into making it. Furthermore, I enjoy garments that push the idea of even what a garment is, adding sculpture to it. Yes, this may be costuming when we look at the Puerto Rico gown by Joshuan Aponte, but, he has done drag gowns that involve these sculptural elements and even movement. See Miss Puerto Rico gown. The elements of big, bright, and loud are very inspiring to me because I think it shows personality.

Lastly, I am inspired by those who break gender “norms” and may dress however they please. I often am discouraged by the fashion industry for being very exclusive to a select body type, ability, and any type of diversity is lacking. I appreciate the tuxedo gown worn by Billy Porter as it is a gorgeous representation of how garments have no need being gendered and exclusive. So I have a large interest and am deeply inspired by garments that embody diversity and are made for the wearer to express who they are. I truly believe garments are a form of self expression and shouldn’t be a part of the binary norms of our society.