Garment Inspiration – Jasmine Lee

Kamperett is a label designed by Anna Chiu and Valerie Santillo, based in San Francisco (California). What I enjoy the most about their work is their explorations with organza as a material. There is experimentation with the silhouettes, necklines, and types of hemming used. What I appreciate the most about their work is the neatness of the finishing techniques used. I typically see organza used in gowns for volume, or for the shine, but I really appreciate how Kamperett takes the material and is able to create a clean, polished silhouette out of it.

In these garments specifically I am interested in the type of layering used. Kamperett plays with the transparency of its garments as well as the fitting. I think the most interesting thing about garment wear is that someone can choose exactly what and what not to reveal, and these choices can be made in an endless amount of ways. Kamperett’s approach to this is using a transparent material that it manipulates for differing degrees of opacity. In some cases, the garments are more simple and single-layered, while in other cases the garment silhouette is mainly created through the layering used.