Cultural Garments – Ashley Burbano

Title: Latin American Fashion

By: Regina A. Root

https://www-bloomsburyfashioncentral-com.cmu.idm.oclc.org/products/berg-fashion-library/encyclopedia/the-berg-companion-to-fashion/latin-american-fashion

Summary: The article is about clothing in Latin America and how it was impacted by Spanish Colonization. It was used to visually reinforce the social hierarchy or caste system that was forced upon the native by the Europeans. Clothing also served as another way to oppress the natives. The natives were forced to wear European clothing, which intentionally reinforced the overarching narratives of superiority and righteousness. The natives were also restricted in the types of fabrics they were allowed to wear, which also plays into the caste system. They were not allowed to wear taffeta or velvet, because these were fabrics reserved for the rich.

Reaction: This article made me sad, but it showed how deeply ingrained colonialism was/is in the cultures of Latin America. It also made me realize how significant and symbolic clothing can be in life. Like something like fabric type, which is now seen as simple and insignificant was used a form of oppression. It shocks me how something that had so much impact on people’s lives and wellbeing, is seen as frivolous now by most people.

I also felt sad that native people of Latin America were stripped of their culture and identity and that this was also done through clothing.

4 thoughts on “Cultural Garments – Ashley Burbano”

1. I definitely agree that it’s rather sad that fashion and clothing was used as another form of oppression and prejudice. From reading this article and other articles, I saw this as a common theme in different cultures who were colonized at one point. I also agree that even though most of us see clothing as another part of daily life, in history and still in some cultures, it can be a symbol of oppression.

2. Ashley, I had a very similar article that talked Caribbean fashion and how it was also diversely influenced by different colonizers. I agree that it is very sad to read and just know that Latin American history and even its garments is a story about oppression of native peoples. Forcing clothing among other things such as religion is very important to note when learning about the cultural aspect to Latino American garments. I wonder what garment native peoples wore before being colonized as it seems like that is truly where Latino American “fashion” or dress really started, not with the Spanish-colonizers.

3. Reading the article also made me very upset, and it surprised me that people were restricted from buying certain fabrics for clothes, not because they couldn’t afford it, but because they were of a certain caste. Even today we can sometimes see a difference of clothing between different socioeconomic groups, but that can differ based on personal style, whereas in Latin America, these styles were enforced. However, I did find it interesting that after Spanish colonialism, clothing colors became a part of a homogenous national identity. It is peculiar to me that light blue was prohibited because it was seen as the color of the enemy, and I wonder how well this worked in uniting the people that lived there.

4. Ashley, Silvia, Elise, and Kye, this article angers me too! I have read many articles about how colonialist countries (such as European countries, the U.S., Japan, etc.) have throughout history used the restriction of language, clothing, and religions to control and oppress people. Removing people’s culture is a way of disconnecting them from each other and also forcing them to assimilate to the colonizing power. There are also articles about how people have resisted this too! People have been very inventive about how to keep ties to their cultures in secretive or discreet ways when they have been outlawed.

I have also read articles about “sumptuary laws” in Europe that restricted the kinds of cloth or the colors of cloth that peasants could wear (such as purple was reserved only for royalty and thus became a symbol of royalty). I agree that it is amazing how powerful clothing is, yet it is still frivolous. How does clothing have power today?