Jamie Park-Looking Outwards-01

Photo image of Matt Copson’s Blorange

Link to the website

I am inspired by Matt Copson’s Blorange (2018), a laser-projection art displayed at Foundation Louis Vuitton. The art piece consisted of three different laser projections of a bird: one perfectly well, one on a skewer, and the other in its deconstructed or abstract state. The video work constantly moves the birds with a recital in the background, capturing the attention of the viewer. Copson’s work alludes to British pop culture and comments on the way people perceive society.

Although Copson is the listed artist of this piece, the coding for this laser work is done by Pieterjan Ruysch, a laser programmer based in Netherlands. Since he is a professional, I suspect that the coding did not take long for Ruysch. He, unfortunately, does not list on his website whether he uses custom script or “off-the-shelf” software.

I find Blorange to be a First World Art, as I have never seen a laser-projection video art with a narrative before. Copson’s unique ability to combine technology, art, and story telling has inspired me to create something similar. I am excited to learn how to code through 15-104 and utilize those skills in my future design classes.

The video of Copson’s Blorange is unfortunately unavailable online.