Chelsea Fan-Looking-Outward-02

LIA is an Austrian artist who combines drawing and painting with digital images and algorithms. She uses code to translate a concept into a “machine” that produces performances, software installations, sculptures, projections, and other multimedia productions live.

I admire that LIA mixes the traditional “art” of painting and drawing with a new and innovative style through code. Her artwork has a sense of fluidity and continuation in its movement. I really like that her software art is abstract and isn’t meant to resemble or picture a tangible object. It is really inspiring to see a form of art that you normally wouldn’t see in a museum or anywhere out on the streets. My favorite part is that there’s no tangible “finishing” point in her artwork. It is not as if she has draw a cat and is finished, but rather when she herself feels satisfied with the machine’s interpretation of her code.

The only critique I have is that there is a lot of inconsistency in the appreciation of abstract artwork. The beauty and worth in abstract artwork is difficult to measure compared to representational artwork.

03_2017_01_06_16_25_35

An Untitled Experiment by LIA from January 8, 2017

2017_08_12_21_45_27

Another Untitled Experiment by LIA from June 5, 2018

Videos of LIA artwork can be found at this link: https://vimeo.com/liasomething/videos