Kimberlyn Cho- Looking Outwards- 04

Meier & Erdmann’s single, “Howler Monkey” uses a computational algorithm to visualize the driving sounds of the song in the music video. The algorithm was created by Victor Doval using both Processing and Blender (specifically the Sverchok add-on). The music video shows charcoal structures, archways, and spheres that constantly evolve to portray the “landscape”in sync with the music. The audio data from the spectrum of sound in the song determines the shape, material, and lighting of the objects in the video.

I really appreciate the experience provided by this computational music video. By accommodating a 24-hour timelapse in 290 seconds, the audience is able to watch the sunrise to the sunset, which evokes a “dreamy” experience for contemplation. I think its a great way to create a deeper relationship between the music and the music video in terms of the audience’s experience. By correlating the music to the visual art, musicians are also able to create unique videos for their music which I find more personal and thoughtful.

created by Victor Doval for the music video of “Howler Monkey” 2017