Min Ji Kim Kim – Looking Outwards – 07

Chris Harrison’s Bible Cross-References data visualization

Bible Cross-References is a collaboration piece between Chris Harrison and Pastor Christoph Römhild. Pastor Römhild had begun putting together data on cross-references within the Bible and wanted to visualize them with the help of Harrison. Together, they were able to take over 63,000 cross references to create this beautiful rainbow. The bottom bars are the different books of the Bible (alternating color between white and gray) and the bar length is how many verses each chapter has. The arc color denotes the distance between the cross-referenced chapters.

Closeup of a portion of the Bible Cross-References data visualization piece.

I am a Christian, and while reading my study Bible there have been multiple times I have thought, “There are so many cross-references to other books, I wonder if we could analyze them… that would be amazing”. When I found this piece, I was fascinated. Looking at these cross-references visually though Harrison’s work has really shed a light on how extensively connected the Bible is and I am in awe. I really appreciate how Harrison and Römhild were able to create such a beautiful piece using data from the Bible.

You can see his other data visualization projects here.