Charmaine Qiu – Looking Outwards 08

Interactive Play In Public Space

Meejin Yoon is a designer and architect. Fascinated by the ambiguity between public and private spaces, Yoon’s work mainly focus on interactive play in public spaces that utilizes the properties of technology. In the lecture, she mentioned how based on the various cultures that people are from, we tend to define personal and public spaces in different ways, yet Yoon is passionate about exploring the boundaries of these spaces. With an architecture degree from Cornell University and a masters degree from Harvard University, Yoon created projects on museum interiors, light installations, interactive technologies, and many more. While designing, she constantly kept in mind the experiences of the users and the context of the designs, while attempting to showcase elements that portray the theme of the surroundings. When presenting her work, Yoon used many visual elements and processes to support her explanations, and I find it helpful to learn from her illustrative manner of presenting work process. The wide range of work that Yoon takes part in is very fascinating to me, and I am inspired by her flexibility in utilizing her skillset to the fullest extent. 

Here is a link to her website:  http://www.howeleryoon.com/

“Interactive Play In Public Space” on Eyeo 2015