Garment Inspiration – Caitlyn

In this post, I have featured three images of garment-based work that inspires me. I am excited about many different styles and types of garments, however, I think a common theme across work that I am interested in is elegance and good craft. I included the first photo because I am very interested in historical, cultural clothing and fell in love with this kimono design when I visited the Tokyo National Museum. The ornate details, colorful and textural qualities of the fabric, and geometric construction of the garment are all fascinating to me.

The second look inspires me because of how well-fitting and cohesive it is. The dress, cape, jewelry, and headpiece are all quite stunning and effectively convey a sense of sophistication. Lastly, I find the dress on the far right inspiring because of its unique structure and silhouette. The way that the dress flows out at the bottom is really intriguing, and the intricate patterns on the dress add another layer of interest. I would like to explore how different fabrics can create various effects and shapes when creating a garment.