Garment Inspiration – Julie Choi

When it comes to garments, I see myself intrigued by the way clothing forms silhouettes on the human body. I tend to study how the fabric lays on the body form to create a synchronous and architectural outcome. I love how these silhouettes enhance the shape of the body whether it is dramatically curvy or linearly even. Though there seems to be a lot of femininity in these garments, I feel like I am attracted to them with a genderless lens and simply for the power of pure sophistication that these garments hold.

In the examples I’ve attached, I love how all garments kind of look a derivative or a representation of the nature. The blue garment by Moncler Genius x Pierpaolo Piccioli uses a Japanese nylon puffer to create a dress garment that almost looks like ripples in a body of water. The baby pink haute couture piece by Giambattista Valli reminds me of a pink rose petal or a rose bouquet. I generally think the types of fabric, sewing, a fitting plays a strong role to show these resemblance, and I find them immaculate.