Jai Sawkar – Looking Outwards – 02

komorebi is a Platform that uses a robotic projector and generative projections to replicate the natural reflections and shadows of sunlight.

This week, I learned about Komorebi, a project created by designer Leslie Nooteboom. Through this projector, sunlight & natural reflections are generated and shown on surfaces, mimicking daylight in a room. I spent most of my adolescent life in the Seattle Area and then moving to Pittsburgh for school; moreover, this year, my room is located in the basement of my house. It is through these experiences that I can attest that daylight, or lack of it, can play a large impact on how you feel. Dwindling amounts of sunlight in the winter and simply minimal daylight staying in a basement can drastically change how you feel; hence, through this platform that generates real-time data (anywhere in the world) can enhance the day-to-day lives of its users, boosting there mood and energy anytime they are in the same room as it.

From my understanding of how the platform works, Kopmorebi uses data of sunlight patterns throughout its available cities and relays the info to the platform itself. It is there that light and its “random shadows” are signaled to mimic the illusion of light through a window.

What I admire about the artist is they saw a need for sunlight that many of us are seeing less & less of; they used both design & computation to create a solution and made it beautiful.

Article