Margot Gersing-Looking Outwards-02

The generative artist I was inspired by was Austrian artist LIA. I was most interested in her Mechanical Plotter Drawings. What I really like about this project is that she incorporates code, mechanical machinery and traditional mediums (mark makers) to create these generative pieces. I am really inspired by the intersection of mediums and platforms LIA utilizes to make really unique art.

No. 005- Indian ink on Hahnemühle paper 30cm x 30cm, printed area: ~18cm x ~18cm
No. 042 – Indian ink on Hahnemühle paper, 30cm x 30cm, printed area: ~20cm x ~20cm
No. 041- Indian ink on Hahnemühle paper, 30cm x 30cm, printed area: ~20cm x ~20cm

The project’s simple code is written in processing. Each piece uses the same code and then she changes the variable x each time just a bit to create the variation. She then uses the axiDraw plotter to manifest the code. To make the pieces even more variable she draws with different tools. Some use paint brushes and india ink and others use various pens and markers to which all have varying line weights and textures.

Video of the code running and a piece being made.

LIA’s website