Stefanie Suk – Looking Outwards – 09

Video of Digital Grotesque

I looked at Sammie’s assessment on the “Digital Grotesque,” which is a large architectural artwork that was 3D printed out of sandstone. I agree with Sammie that the massive scale of this piece blows my mind because in the past 3D technology was used for small objects/projects, but the “Digital Grotesque” is a huge architectural piece. The extremely complex details and geometry (260 million individual facets) amazes me as well. She mentions how she was admired by the fact that “the base algorithms produce results that are not entirely predictable, though not random,” which I couldn’t agree more with. I feel like Sammie really looked deeply into the project and research a lot about how the artwork was structured. In her Looking Outwards, I can see she deeply understands how the piece was created in detail. I feel like she explained well about how the piece was structure/created, but I feel like it would’ve been more interesting if she also mentioned about the meaning behind the artwork. 

https://courses.ideate.cmu.edu/15-104/f2019/2019/09/09/sammie-kim-looking-outwards-03/

Sammie Kim, Looking Outwards 03, 2019