LO: Generative Art

A piece of generative art that I admire is “Differential Lattice” created by artist Anders Hoff. From a visual perspective, I think it is extremely beautiful. The small components coming together to create a very intricate lattice is very interesting. I also admire it because I am extremely interested in the process the artist had to go through to produce it. This course is my first introduction to code as well as computational art, and I think that it has been so interesting to see how the language of the code interacts with the visual art. I am just so curious as to how Hoff had to harness that code in order to create this very intricate piece. The artist said that they used Cython to produce this piece. When going into depth about his process, he talked about how he used a lot of differential meshes and systems to create the piece. It seems as though, there is a pattern of nodes being plotted, and the computer keeps using that program to create similar patterns and move throughout the canvas. I think that you can tell that the artist has an appreciation for additive pieces. In some of the ones I saw on their website, there was a start in the middle of the canvas, and then growth coming out from that point into the canvas.

https://inconvergent.net/generative/differential-lattice/