Looking Outwards 3: Computational Fabrication

One computational fabrication project that I found particularly intriguing is the “Vespers” collection by Neri Oxman’s Mediated Matter Group at MIT. The collection contains three series, each with five 3D-printed and multi-material masks: the Past, Present, and Future.

I find the Future series to be most interesting as it explores death and rebirth by combining living and non-living materials in the masks. This was accomplished by integrating computational design with 3D printing and synthetic biology to direct the growth and expression of the microorganisms inside the mask. The algorithm and tools are customized so that the microorganisms reproduce the colors of the Past series and feature patterns based on the spatial logic in the Present series, maintaining cohesiveness throughout the entire collection and expressing the idea of “rebirth”. I’m impressed by “Vespers” because it’s not only incredibly innovative, but it’s also functional and relevant. The algorithms behind this can be used for so many other applications. For instance, it could be used to create smart packaging that reacts to its environment. This mask collection goes beyond traditional mediums of art; it thoroughly explores the intersection of computation, design, and biology.

A display of how the collection transforms between the three series
(Credit: Yoram Reshef)
A close-up view of Mask 1 in the Present Series
(Credit: Yoram Reshef)