afukuda_LookingOutwards02

Frederik Vanhoutte’s Equivor graphics was inspirational and memorable for its natural yet carefully compositional balance. I appreciate how Vanhoutte attempts to achieve aesthetic beauty through his otherwise algorithmic work; I feel that most people in this field tend to sway towards focusing on perfecting their algorithm and their aesthetic awareness fades with it. From looking at the graphics, there is a strong inclination of a radial composition, most likely with associated degrees of freedom for each petal so as to not create repeated identical petals, maintaining the natural aesthetics of flowers. I also appreciate Vanhoutte’s monochromatic choice of palette; it allows the viewer to focus on his generative art. Reading through his website, it gave an insight as to his way of thinking, which I find it helped my understanding of his work better. He writes, “Code gives me a way to play, to explore the odd behavior of our world, to find the systems beneath it.” He also shows his thought process as to how to define his work. He believes art is too pretentious and algorithm not showing as much of the “art” as he would like. He concludes that constructs seems to be a suitable choice of vocabulary.