dayoungl Looking Outwards -05

I wasn’t very familiar with 3d graphic artists so I had to do some google search to look for interesting artworks. Among the artists I found Daniel Aristizabal’s artworks most intriguing. Aristizabal is a Colombia-based artist who describes his works as “pop surrealism”. He is a fan of bold colour contrasts, scientific references, and geometric shapes. He makes use of everyday objects and turns them into something surreal and interesting. Aristizabal explains that he considers sketching process in his notebook the most important part of his art-making process; despite the 3d tools he can take advantage of, Aristizabal states that he likes the feeling of brainstorming with paper and pencil. Then, the artist use a computer program, Cinema 4D, to visualize his sketches.

I think 3D in the same way I think illustration. I start to doodle around a concept. Words, sketches, random thoughts. Whatever pops into my mind, I draw it on my notepads. After that I know what elements I need to create on Cinema 4D. A lot of the stuff I use is based on imagery and objects that I had when I was a little kid—finally I’m able to get that out into the world.