eeryan-LookingOutwards-09

I looked at what jwchou’s Looking Outwards assignment on generative art. He looked at the Postmodernist Art Generator by Don Relya, which took into account choices that artists make when creating art and used code to generate random postmodernist art instantaneously. With every iteration, the code is altered to take more factors into account. The last such iteration was in 2010.When responding to the piece, jwchou was interested in the artist’s statement where he said that while an artist’s actions can never be computationally reproduced completely, this parsed their actions, with constraints in order to create an algorithm for postmodernism.

I find this concept to be extremely interesting. The way it looks into the artistic process in an analytical way is very appealing to me, and I think presents an interesting counter argument to those who look down on modern and postmodern art as not being “real art” by presenting the complexity of the decisions that go into said art. I especially liked the final screenshot attached of the most recent iteration of the code, which I attached below.
Link to jwchou’s post

Link to artist’s website

PostModernist Generator, third iteration made in 2010