sijings-lookingOutwards-06

http://color-wander.surge.sh
video cannot be embedded here and thus a link is provided.

Form1 | 2016 | Matt Deslauriers

My ideas for the use of randomness in the computation of art is about randomized patterns that a function computes. “Generative Art with Node.js and Canvas” is one of the randomized artwork I appreciated. This is not a famous art piece but a small weekend project that combines Node.js and HTML5 Canvas to create high-resolution generative artwork. The reason I chose this instead of other big names works is because of the amazing color combination and the shape of each growing elements. Visually, this appears to me as a really interesting and aesthetic artwork. In the artist’s blog, he detailedly records of his process. He chose to use Node.js, pursuing a fast speed and a high resolution of the pattern.

Form2 | 2016 | Matt Deslauriers
Form3 | 2016 | Matt Deslauriers
Form4 | 2016 | Matt Deslauriers

In each version, the particle is rendered as a small pattern with direction and velocity. The scale and the mass’ scale is randomized to reach some straight and curly lines. After this, he uses photographs as “distortion maps” to drive the algorithm so some of his work looks as random segments creating some larger scale pattern. Lastly, he randomized the color from the “color lovers API”. He also uses many randomizations including the choice of color, the scale of particles, and the mass’ scale. Thus, I think this uses a “truly” random method for accomplishing the final results. Overall, I enjoyed the visual pattern and the pattern each particle accomplished.

Generative Art with Node.js and Canvas