End of Semester Plan

I plan to continue working on my Person In Time project, a 360 video performance that simultaneously will show all my movements, actions, and possibly, affections, over a 24h quarantine day. 

The stay-at-home order has enabled the transfer of our outdoor activities and operations into the domestic space. What used to happen outside of our walls, now happens virtually all over our places. Our house is, therefore, the control room for the production, consumption, and biopolitics of our lives (P. Preciado, 2020). This project aims to complete the cycle signifying the surveillance techniques of our bodies by public and private institutions, but now inside of the new country demarcated within our partitions.

My main goal during the rest of the semester will be to speculate with the deformation of time along the spatial axis of my home in different ways:

• simultaneous actions of different time-periods
  • looped movements
  • timelapse recording of outdoor and indoor lighting settings 
  • interactions between asynchronous actions (with green screen removal)

I will use a fixed 360 camera to record my whole living space at once. Then, I will use a background subtraction algorithm (possibly, this one) to rotoscope myself in various clips and edit a final video piece with all the different fragments. Although the performance will contain unhomely activities and distorted views of the anxious experience of enclosed living, I will avoid choreographing and beautifying the movements to produce a pseudo-surrealistic documentary. 

References:

Readings:

• NO FUN by Tina Rivers Ryan
  • Sopa de Wuhan: Pensamiento Contemporáneo en Tiempos de Pandemias by Giorgio Agamben, Slavoj ŽiŽek, Jean Luc Nancy, Franco “Bifo” Berardi, Santiago López Petit, Judith Butler, Alain Badiou,  David Harvey,  Byung-Chul Han, Raúl Zibechi, María Galindo, Markus Gabrie, Gustavo Yañez González, Patricia Manrique, and Paul B. Preciado.