Jonathan Perez Looking Outwards 5

Chaotic Atmospheres’ “Crystallized Asteroids”

Chaotic Atmospheres is an artist dedicated to creating surreal landscapes and environments. This project in particular was created using e-on Vue 8 along with procedural landscapes, allowing for the creation of unlimited, unique asteroids.

To me, the texture of the images is what strikes me first. If you look at a few of the asteroids under the project page (a link will be provided below), each texture slightly varies from the other, and in combination with exposure/shadows, works to create an extremely strong mood. Each asteroid has a focus and direction. It’s amazing how an artist can render a landscape procedurally, that stands its ground as the main focus, not just a cool environment.

In some ways, I wonder if the procedural aspect of these asteroids lead to a more organic aesthetic. Nature is quite random and chaotic, after all, and as hard as we try, it might be hard to entirely emulate that chaos. That is certainly something to think about in future projects attempting to capture something organic.

In addition, something I took away from this project was the lighting and exposure… Like a photographer setting up a portrait, Chaotic Atmospheres sets up the lighting and exposure to give the image a certain mood. At first glance, all I thought about was the details of the asteroid… but I quickly realized that what actually drew me to these asteroids was the well executed lighting. In the future, I will keep that in mind for my images… especially in regards to procedural lighting and exposure. Or perhaps the generated portion of the project should be procedural, and the lighting and exposure can be where the individuals artistic sensibilities comes in.

Here’s a link to his portfolio on Behance:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/3418025/Crystallized-Asteroids

SaveSave