ctv-Looking Outward-05

https://www.behance.net/gallery/5126039/Structural-Surface-Experiments

This designer, Levente Gyulai,

made many sketches using a Rhino 3D model software and a plugin called Grasshopper. The plugin is a drag & drop-based programming software that allows creators to quickly make complex generative forms. In the program, parameters are used to tweak surfaces in three-dimensional space. Gyulai’s work is organically inspired, and appears to grow into a form. Grasshopper allows the surfaces to be manipulated on any scale, micro and macro. The type of control allows for complex (and interesting) 3D forms; in this piece, the designer uses large, sweeping curves to create the outside forms with fine tubes on the inside. Although I have not used the Grasshopper plugin, I have used a program structured similarly (Max/MSP) to create generative 3D video art. I love the visual nature, of drag and drop programming languages because it allows me to think about the logic of a program. Coding in P5.JS allows for more detail and complexity than Max/MSP. When coding, if I can’t figure out the logic of what I want to do, I will do a quick sketch in Max/MSP.