nayeonk1-LookingOutwards-Computer Music

Laurie spiegel is a composer and computer artist. I choose her not only because she is a female artist in computer art area and also she pioneer of new-music scene in history. I always interested in femail artist in USA since I understand how tough to be female artist and become influential artist. Her early musical experiences were largely self-directed, beginning with the mandolin, guital and banjo-it makes her more special-. Spiegel attended Shimer College and Oxford University. After receiving her AB degree in the Social Sciences, she commuted to london to study guitar, teory and composition.

She has worked at Bell laboratories in coputer graphics and is known her algorithmic composition software Music Mouse. When she continues to support herself through software development, she aims to use technology in music as a means of furthering her art rather than as an end in itself.

Laurie spiegel

Best known for her use of interactive and algorithmic logic as part of the compositional process, she worked experimental and prototype-level music and image generation system. Pursuing her concept of visual music, she was a video artist too. In addition to computer software development, she supported herself by both teaching and by soundtrack composition.

Her early computer art 1974
Her early computer art 1974

Laurie Spiegel’s website