Sneeze—TextSynthesis

Narrative Device

“The old woman in the store was giving out fortunes when she caught sight of me. “You’re going to be rich,” she said. “You’ll find a lot of money.” But I didn’t believe her. I only had a few dollars. “You’ll get a headache,” she said again. I was too tired to argue. So I bought a fortune cookie and went to bed.”

Narrative Device takes in two themes and generates a whole paragraph out of them. I thought that this was really easy to use since it only needed the user to come up with two subjects, but sometimes the outcome would exclude one of them. When I used headache and fortune cookie, the device would only sometimes give me a paragraph that was related to headaches. Besides that, generating text on the same themes creates remarkably different storylines, which is impressive. I think that this device creates a semi-logical plot with a much more cohesive story compared to InferKit.

InferKit Tool

Upon opening the door, Dorthy found that she was not in her room. She had transported to the land of ice and was about to slip and fall.
Determined to walk on, she insisted that she could handle it. The Mice that were near her allowed her to use their icy paths to reach her destination. They were also helpful in avoiding new dangers of their own.”

The InferKit Tool has a different dynamic from the Narrative Device. It requires the user to give it a starting phrase or sentence or sentences to build the story. I think that this gives the user more control, which can be nice, but providing fewer words results in a random story. When I experimented with giving it a phrase, the story went to a different subject all together. Providing more words makes the story a lot more cohesive, but then that requires the user to work more.