dnoh-sectionD-lookingoutwards11

Project: Generating Music with RNN

This project is similar to what I wrote about in Looking Outwards 4. By using the same programming logic as the one I previously wrote about (Reoccurring Neural Networks), a program was able to come up with the final “composed piece” at the end of the video. The program first took many samples of Bach’s pieces. Then, the program analyzed it and created a random “piece” as its first iteration. Through the samples it was provided, it slowly “improved” to match melodies and chords more similar to that of the original samples to create a whole new piece in the style of Bach.

Honestly, I couldn’t really find an interesting computational music project that was not already written about, so I went with this one. There seems to be no artistic mind behind this because it was literally all computer generated without any specific parameters.

However, before I looked into this project, I remembered a YouTuber called Andrew Huang. He creates a lot of music through many audio samples he records and edits/organizes each file into different harmonies and sounds. I found this to be fascinating, however not very computational, as it is basically creating music manually.